Sunday, June 8, 2014

Mom's Baked Chicken from Mrs. Santa!



Well! Look what I found tucked away in my mom's tattered old recipe box. Well worn and loved. This was something she made all the time and many people loved it. It was a regularly requested recipe and no family function could pass without it. It is very old fashioned with few ingredients.

(I must confess I do plan on "tweaking" it a bit myself to add in extra seasonings that I particularly love, like marjoram, rosemary, a dash of Italian seasoning. But I am a bit heavy handed and lean towards Irish cooking where everything goes in the pot but the kitchen sink. However, considering I have heard other Mrs. Santa's across the continents do the same thing, it just be the savvy thing to do to feed many mouths and satisfy many hungry bellies!)  

Recipe:


  1. Put 2 cups flour, pepper, thyme, sage, poultry seasoning, etc in a bag and shake to mix.
  2. Put about 6 pieces of cut-up, cleaned chicken in bag and shake to coat, at a time.
  3. Melt 1 stick oleo in pan in oven until melted.
  4. Add chicken pieces, cut up onion over it.
  5. Bake at 425 for 1/2 hour, then turn pieces of chicken over and bake another 1/2 hour.